This Week In Food: Pasta for Life
Aug 21, 2026
Pasta Supply Co. is offering pasta for life if you donate a bunch to its crowdfunding campaign, Tartine debuts in Marin County, and the Chronicle surveys newly opened Thai spots, all in This Week in Food.As part of the crowdfunding effort to open the third Pasta Supply Co. location in Cole Valley, c
hef-owner Anthony Strong is offering a Pasta for a Year deal for $550, as well as a Pasta for Life deal for $4,000, both of which will get you a box of fresh pasta of your choice every week — and that includes the filled pastas, but you can't bank them for a month and collect them all at once. Eater calculates that it's a pretty good deal — especially for the guy who put the Pasta for Life deal in his daughter's name — so long as this business is long-lived. And Strong says that, just one week in, the offer has already gotten him halfway to his $400K goal. The new location is set to open sometime this fall at 919 Cole Street.Earlier this week we had the news that the team behind Original Joe's and Little Original Joe's is plotting a new burger-and-chicken-tenders spot in West Portal called Original Joe's Cable Car. Look for that to open late next year.The much-anticipated first Marin County location of Tartine Bakery made its debut in Mill Valley's Strawberry Village on Wednesday, as the Chronicle reported. While all the pastries for the new location will be baked on site, the Tartine bread will be driven over the Golden Gate each date from San Francisco. As Tartine CEO Dar Vasseghi said in a release. "Strawberry Village is an ideal home for us — a neighborhood gathering place with a strong sense of community. People have been asking us for this for a long time, and we’re excited to deliver on that demand."Small Korean comfort food spot Matko has closed at 736 Valencia Street, as they announced on Instagram. The reason was apparently a change of ownership of the property, but their other counter-service location inside The Market (1355 Market Street) remains open.The Chronicle has a follow-up today to an earlier story that detailed the deep financial hole that was dug by chef-owner Seth Stowaway with his now closed Michelin-starred restaurant Osito, and with his subsequent ventures. The new report reveals that Stowaway was fired from one of his most high-profile jobs, as executive chef at Bar Agricole, in the spring of 2019, due to inappropriate behavior with the staff. Multiple servers and cooks at the restaurant complained the Stowaway would aggressively hug them and often say "I love you" in a way that felt inappropriate for the workplace, and after he was warned about it, the behavior reportedly continued. The earlier report had described how vendors and employees were owed money by Stowaway, and that a pattern of mismanagement appeared to continue into his subsequent ventures Chicken Fried Palace, which has already closed, and Folklore, an underground dining "tasting salon."And while the big news in local Thai cuisine is the recent opening of Saam, from decorated Thai chef Thitid “Ton” Tassanakajohn, Chronicle critic Cesar Hernandez offers mini reviews of some other Thai restaurants that have opened in the last year or so around the Bay, along with some dish recommendations. He says that Ka Kai in the Castro "makes one of the finest papaya salads in the Bay Area," and he praises the beef curry dish known as khua kling at Song Wat on Divisadero. He also loves the pork jowl fried rice at Payakk in Oakland.
...read more
read less