Man charged in Marion Co. deputy death sentenced to 66 years for killing exgirlfriend
Apr 01, 2025
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Orlando Mitchell, the man accused of fatally strangling a Marion County deputy in 2023, has been sentenced for 66 years for the murder of his ex-girlfriend, 32-year-old Krystal Walton.
A Marion County judge handed down the maximum sentence for his crimes Tuesday mornin
g.
Mitchell, 35, was found guilty of murder and invasion of privacy in February. Jurors did not reach a decision on a lesser third charge, which prosecutors allowed to be dismissed.
News 8 previously reported that Mitchell shot Walton, the mother of his child, outside of a daycare at Holmes Avenue and 10th Street early on Sept. 16, 2022.
After shooting Walton, Mitchell was found by police in the 1000 block of North Delaware Street. He had two firearms, including a rifle he was seen carrying at a bus stop.
When officers approached him, they told Mitchell to drop his weapons, and “at that time, officers discharged their service weapon.” Mitchell was shot at least once.
Before her death, Krystal Walton had called police several times to report Mitchell. Walton was four months pregnant when she said her boyfriend had choked her and she was concerned he would find her, according to a probable cause affidavit filed in March 2021.
For the 2021 incident, Mitchell had been charged with domestic battery in front of a child, strangling a pregnant person, confinement, and intimidation. Mitchell took a plea deal that convicted him of a lesser charge. His sentence was two days in jail, a year probation, and domestic violence counseling.
This was the first of two murder trials for Mitchell.
In July 2023, Mitchell strangled Marion County Deputy John Durm, 61, to death in the sally port of the Marion County Criminal Justice Center.
After attacking Durm, court documents say Mitchell took control of a transport van and fled, driving through a fence before crashing into a utility port a short distance away from the jail.
Both the attack and Mitchell speeding away with the van were caught on video.
Mitchell faces charges of two counts of murder, robbery resulting in serious bodily injury, and escape.
Jury selection was set to begin on Aug. 3. The trial was scheduled for Aug. 17 – 28.
Prosecutors say they will seek the death penalty.
Help is available for victims of domestic violence. Below is a list of suggested resources on the Domestic Violence Network website:
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-7233 or text START to 88788
National Domestic Violence Hotline en español: 800-799-7233 o texto “START” al 88788
Indiana Coalition Against Domestic Violence: 24-hour hotline available at 800-332-7385
Indiana Coalition to End Sexual Assault and Human Trafficking
La Plaza Indy
The Julian Center
Indiana Child Abuse Hotline: 800-800-5556
National Sexual Assault Hotline: 800-656-4673
...read more read less