New details emerge in timeline leading up to Kyle Busch’s sudden death
May 22, 2026
CHARLOTTE, N.C. – We’re learning more about the timeline leading up to Kyle Busch’s sudden death as the NASCAR community prepares for one of the biggest races of the year.
We now know that Busch had a medical emergency on Wednesday, while testing in a racing simulator in Concord. A 911 call
made from the facility asked for an ambulance, and said Busch was short of breath and coughing up blood. He was reportedly lying on the floor but awake. The next day, we learned he had been hospitalized with a severe illness, then hours later came the devastating news that he had died.
Busch planned to run in Friday’s truck race and in Sunday’s Coca Cola 600. NASCAR CEO Steve O’Donnell did not share any health details during a news conference on Friday, but did say this weekend’s races will go on. O’Donnell says, “When you look at what minimal conversations did take place between RCR, ourselves, family, it was Kyle Busch would probably be pretty pissed off if we didn’t race. So we’re going to honor his memory and make sure people know what he was all about.”
Busch won 234 races across NASCAR’s top 3 series – that’s the most of any driver. Several tributes are in the works to honor him during the Coca Cola 600 this weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway, but details are still being ironed out.
Richard Childress Racing says it is retiring Busch’s number 8 car for now. The race team is holding it until his 11-year-old son is old enough to take it over. Busch also leaves behind his wife Samantha and a 4-year-old daughter. We have not heard any details about a memorial service.
...read more
read less