May 22, 2026
A Santa Clara County juvenile justice court judge on Friday ruled that a then-13-year-old boy is responsible for second-degree murder following the deadly 2025 Valentine’s Day stabbing of another boy at Santana Row in San Jose. The ruling came after a monthslong juvenile court trial centered on the killing of 15-year-old David Gutierrez, who was attacked on Feb. 14, 2025. Following the ruling, Santa Clara County District Attorney Jeff Rosen said prosecutors will ask the judge to sentence the now-14-year-old defendant to seven years in a secure juvenile facility. Gutierrez’s family said they believe justice will only be served if the sentence amounts to years, not months. Defense attorneys argued during trial that the boy acted in self-defense because he believed Gutierrez had a knife. San Jose police said investigators found no evidence that Gutierrez was armed. It remains unclear how the court could impose the seven-year recommendation under California laws governing juvenile offenders who were 13 or younger at the time of a crime. “The minor was 13.5 at the time,” Rosen said after the ruling. Gutierrez’s family also spoke outside court Friday, saying they believe the defendant should face a lengthy sentence. Authorities said the then-13-year-old defendant and four other teenagers confronted Gutierrez because he was wearing red, which they associated with a rival gang. San Jose police said Gutierrez had no gang ties and was wearing red because it was Valentine’s Day. The judge found the boy responsible for the assault and the deadly stabbing that followed moments later. The judge also found the defendant guilty in a separate assault at Valley Fair mall in which prosecutors said he attacked another person and stole a gold necklace and a shoe. Two additional charges remain unresolved. The only adult charged in the case, Emmanuel Sanchez Damian, remains in custody and his case is pending. Two other teens who were 16 at the time of the attack were previously found responsible in Gutierrez’s assault case. One was sentenced to two years in juvenile hall. The now-14-year-old defendant is scheduled to return to court July 1. San Jose May 18 Closing arguments begin in Santana Row fatal stabbing trial San Jose Mar 20 Girlfriend of teen killed in Santana Row stabbing testifies San Jose Aug 5, 2025 Plea hearing delayed for adult suspect in Santana Row fatal stabbing San Jose May 4, 2025 Group holds rally for teen killed in Santana Row stabbing ...read more read less
Respond, make new discussions, see other discussions and customize your news...

To add this website to your home screen:

1. Tap tutorialsPoint

2. Select 'Add to Home screen' or 'Install app'.

3. Follow the on-scrren instructions.

Feedback
FAQ
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service