May 21, 2026
The 17-year-old boy transported to Salem Hospital after a Wednesday evening shooting in downtown Salem is in stable condition, Salem Police Department spokesman Jon Hardy said in a statement. Law enforcement agencies continue to investigate, but have not made an arrest as of Thursday evening.  According to Salem police, officers were dispatched to a shooting near 220 High St. S.E. around 6:20 p.m. on Wednesday, May 20. Police arrived on scene to find a victim, 17, that had been shot, Hardy said. Medics then took the teenager to Salem Hospital. As of Thursday afternoon, the victim is in stable condition without life-threatening injuries, Hardy said.  The suspect, who has not yet been arrested, left the scene before police got to the area, Hardy said.  He said the Salem Police Department worked with Oregon State Police and the Marion County Sheriff’s Office to search for the suspect south of where the shooting took place and used dogs and drones in the search, but did not locate them.  “We want to assure the community that there is no ongoing active threat at this time,” Hardy said. Cherriots General Manager Allan Pollock said the transit center, which is several blocks north of where the shooting was reported, was only minimally impacted. “We did have to put some buses on detour, I think it was four routes went on detour, because the police had it cordoned off down by trade street. Everything else ran as normal,” Pollock said He said bus passengers likely wouldn’t have been able to see what was going on at the time of the shooting, and said passengers likely didn’t realize anything was amiss until after police showed up.  “It appeared to have happened so quickly, and people dispersed. And from my understanding there were two police officers fairly close, so they responded quickly,” Pollock said. He said that because the transit center is a high traffic area, there are security personnel on site at all times during hours of operations  The police investigation remains active. Contact reporter Joe Siess: [email protected].  SIGN UP: Salem Reporter is dedicated to covering the people, issues, and stories that shape our community. Stay connected to Salem. Subscribe today. The post 17-year-old victim in stable condition after shooting near downtown transit center  appeared first on Salem Reporter. ...read more read less
Respond, make new discussions, see other discussions and customize your news...

To add this website to your home screen:

1. Tap tutorialsPoint

2. Select 'Add to Home screen' or 'Install app'.

3. Follow the on-scrren instructions.

Feedback
FAQ
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service