Historic preservation awards honor 19 New Orleans projects
Mar 20, 2026
KEY TAKEAWAYS:
The Louisiana Landmarks Society selected 19 projects across Orleans Parish.
Notable honorees include the Historic New Orleans Collection’s and Holy Cross School.
Projects span the city from the Lower Ninth Ward to Uptown, encompassing residential, commercial, institut
ional, and hospitality uses.
The awards will be presented at a public reception on Wednesday, May 20, 2026, from 5:30–7:30 p.m. at Gallier Hall, 545 St. Charles Avenue.
Lousiana Landmark Awards 2026 [see the SlideDeck]
The Louisiana Landmarks Society has announced the 2026 winners for their Awards for Excellence in Historic Preservation. According to a news release these awards honor projects completed in Orleans Parish in 2025 that “represent outstanding examples of the restoration and rehabilitation of historic buildings.”
Nineteen projects were selected as honorees, including the Historic New Orleans Collection rehabilitation of the former K-Paul’s Louisiana Kitchen building. Holy Cross School apartments and Richardson Memorial Hall at Tulane University have also been selected.
“From the Lower Ninth Ward to Uptown, these projects prove that preservation and progress go hand in hand,” said Sandra Stokes, Chair of the Preservation Awards Committee. “Holy Cross School, once facing total loss, now stands as a testament to new vision and what community advocacy can achieve.”
The Louisiana Landmarks Society 2026 Awards for Excellence in Historic Preservation will be presented with a program and reception on Wednesday, May 20, 2026, from 5:30 -7:30 p.m. at Gallier Hall, 545 St. Charles Ave. The event is open to the general public. For ticket information visit https://www.louisianalandmarks.org/events.
The winners for 2026 are:
416 Chartres Street – The Historic New Orleans Collection
Team: The Historic New Orleans Collection, Trapolin-Peer Architects, Ryan Gootee General Contractors, Schrenk Engineering, Moses Engineers, Rick Fifield.
Originally constructed in 1834, 416 Chartres Street is a contributing building within the Vieux Carré Historic District. Most recently home to K-Paul’s Louisiana Kitchen, the building had been heavily altered by decades of restaurant build-out, obscuring much of its historic fabric and limiting natural light. The rehabilitation transformed the structure into a fabrication and studio facility for The Historic New Orleans Collection, guided by a strategy of revealing historic masonry and restoring openness.
4950 Dauphine Street – Holy Cross School Apartments
Team: E. Perez Architects, Fricker Historic Preservation Services LLC, Roth Law Firm LLC, Riselmpact Capital LLC, Home Bank, Octagon Finance, Central State Bank
Constructed in 1895 with major additions in 1912, the former Holy Cross School is a defining landmark of the Holy Cross Historic District. After Hurricane Katrina, years of neglect, storms, vandalism, and vegetation left the campus in severe disrepair. Following sustained preservation advocacy and a change in ownership, the building was comprehensively rehabilitated as market-rate apartments.
1401 Delachaise Street – Sommerville-Kearney House
Team: Stay Heirloom, Cicada Architects, Glaser Development, Fricker Historic Preservation Services, LLC
Constructed between 1890 and 1891, the Sommerville-Kearney House is an individually listed National Register property and designated HDLC Landmark. This prominent Queen Anne residence had endured decades of institutional use and deferred maintenance, leaving both its architectural integrity and building systems compromised. The rehabilitation focused on restoring the building envelope, repairing woodwork and masonry, correcting roof and drainage failures, and preserving landmark-defining features. Inside, non-historic partitions were removed to reveal the original hall plan, marble mantels, ceiling medallions, pocket doors, and monumental stair.
830 Desire Street
Team: Dalton Architects, MKRed Build, Leonardo Herrara
Constructed circa 1880, 830 Desire Street is a contributing shotgun residence within the Bywater Historic District and a representative example of the neighborhood’s working-class domestic architecture. Years of deferred maintenance had left the modest frame house in deteriorated condition. The rehabilitation stabilized the structure, reinforced the foundation and framing, and preserved its defining characteristics. Historic flooring, transoms, ceiling heights, and façade rhythm were retained, while the plan was adapted for contemporary living.
4417 Dryades Street – New Orleans Skin Diving School
Team: Stay Heirloom, Clementine Construction, LLC, Fricker Historic Preservation Services, LLC
Constructed circa 1920, 4417–4419 Dryades Street is a rare early twentieth-century indoor recreational facility within the Uptown New Orleans Historic District. Known for decades as the New Orleans Skin Diving School, the building combines architectural significance with an important place in the city’s recreational and maritime history. The rehabilitation focused on preserving its most remarkable feature: a monumental vaulted pool hall with skylight, oculus windows, and decorative detailing.
527 Elysian Fields Avenue – Hotel Pompadour
Team: Khrisos, Inc., James Michalopoulos, Mike Murray, Cody Ellis, LLC Rick Fifield, Batture Engineering, Tatianna Macchione, Andrew Williams
The rehabilitation of 527 Elysian Fields Avenue transformed the former Schoen Funeral Home complex into Hotel Pompadour, a boutique hotel within the Faubourg Marigny. The interconnected nineteenth-century buildings, including Italianate townhouses and a former livery stable, reflect the layered commercial and cultural history of the neighborhood. Prior to rehabilitation, the complex suffered from substantial deterioration. The project stabilized masonry walls, preserved heavy timber structure, restored historic materials, and adapted the interior for twelve guest suites.
632 Esplanade Avenue – Zaeringer-Begue House
Team: Morgan Kinnett Stalder, Adamick Architecture, Historic Pro NOLA, LLC., Begue House, LLC, Nodis Construction
Constructed in 1886, the Zaeringer-Begue House is a distinguished Second Empire townhouse along Esplanade Avenue within the Vieux Carré Historic District. Over time, the former mansion had been subdivided into seven apartments. The rehabilitation focused on restoring a sense of the original plan while preserving defining exterior features, including the mansard roof, cast-iron balcony, wood windows, and recessed entry. Inside decorative plaster and marble mantels were restored, and the staircase was rehabilitated.
609 Jackson Avenue – The Jackson
Team: Kalais Companies, LLC, AQ Studios, Carubba Engineering, M-K Engineering, Inc.
The Jackson at 609 Jackson Avenue represents the adaptive reuse of the former Sara T. Mayo Hospital complex in the Lower Garden District. Founded by pioneering physician Dr. Sara T. Mayo, the hospital provided opportunities for women doctors and care for women and children before closing in 1979. Decades of vacancy left the mid-century institutional building badly deteriorated. The rehabilitation stabilized the historic structure, repaired concrete and masonry, restored glazing and adapted the former hospital floors for residential use. Complementary new construction added additional amenities and much needed mixed-income housing and amenities.
621 Kerlerec Street
Team: Dana and Leo Palazzo, LK Harmon Architects, Southkick|Rolf Preservation Works
Constructed circa 1900, 621 Kerlerec Street is a two-story shotgun double within the Faubourg Marigny Historic District that reflects the modest scale and craftsmanship of early working-class housing. Over time, the building was altered by fire repairs, asbestos siding, replacement windows, and enclosure of the front gallery, while years of deferred maintenance further diminished its historic character. The rehabilitation reopened the two-story gallery, and preserved historic siding, brackets, windows, and floorplans.
2015–2017 Kerlerec Street
Team: Topaz Restorations, Southkick|Rolf Preservation Works
Constructed circa 1915, 2015–2017 Kerlerec Street is a single-story Craftsman shotgun double within the Esplanade Ridge Historic District and a modest example of the neighborhood’s working-class domestic architecture. The project stabilized the structure and preserved its historic massing, layout, and Craftsman character. Inside, the historic double-parlor configuration was retained, and original flooring, doors, windows, and mantels were preserved wherever possible.
3535 Magazine Street – Verdad Real Estate and Construction
Team: Trapolin Peer Architects, Woodward Design+Build, DM Steib, LLC, Pontchartrain Mechanical, A1 Electrical Contractors, RML Acoustics, Merit Fire Protection, Fransen Mills, Ryan
Constructed in 1925 for the Jefferson Motor Company, 3535 Magazine Street housed businesses that served its neighborhood for nearly a century, including a bakery and Harry’s Ace Hardware. The three-story building contributes to the commercial character of Magazine Street through its Classical Revival-influenced brick façade, steel windows, and prominent cornice. The rehabilitation adapted the structure for contemporary retail and office use while preserving its industrial character and key architectural features.
3047 Maurepas Street
Team: Historic Pro NOLA, LLC, JLV Construction, Thomas M. Smith, Ryan Nugent
The rehabilitation of 3047 Maurepas Street restored a one-and-a-half-story Creole cottage in Faubourg St. John while returning it from single-family use to a double. Originally constructed in the late nineteenth century, the project preserved the exterior envelope, repaired and repainted historic siding, restored porch elements, and retained existing windows wherever possible. Interior work focused on preserving original flooring and supporting the renewed duplex layout.
1354 Moss Street
Team: Stephen Bergeron, Daniel Samuels Architect, EM Improvements, Decoration Lucullus
The rehabilitation of 1354 Moss Street restored a late nineteenth-century cottage while introducing restrained additions for contemporary residential use. Originally built as a three-bay side-gallery shotgun, the house had evolved through several alterations, including a major 1920s remodeling that reshaped the façade and enclosed the side gallery. The project removed later additions and siding, stabilized the structure, repaired historic materials, and restored the front façade while introducing a sensitive rear addition and screened porch.
2400 Napoleon Avenue – The Josephine Events Center
Team: 2400 Napoleon, LLC, Holly Smith Architects, Perle Construction, Ryan, Parish Engineering
Constructed in 1925, Our Lady of Lourdes Church is a Spanish Mission Revival landmark within the Uptown Historic District and one of its most significant buildings. After years of service, the church was damaged by Hurricane Katrina, deconsecrated, and left vacant for more than a decade. The project restored the sanctuary for use as The Josephine Events Center, addressing major structural failure while preserving defining architectural features.
1746–1748 Prytania Street
Team: Ryan Moses, Toulouse Millworks, Logan Killen Interiors, Cicada Architect, Southkick|Rolf Preservation Works
The rehabilitation of 1746 and 1748 Prytania Street restored two historic residential buildings that contribute to the Lower Garden District streetscape. Both buildings share a history of conversion from residences to boarding house or hotel use. The project addressed deterioration and mid-century alterations while preserving each building’s massing, materials, and interior character
2318 St. Andrew Street
Team: Gardner Development, LLC, Gardner Construction, LLC, Emily Knollenberg
The rehabilitation of 2318–2320 St. Andrew Street restored a long-vacant shotgun double in Central City that was at risk of collapse. The project required comprehensive structural rehabilitation, including rebuilding framing, installing new siding and roofing, replacing doors and windows, and integrating modern systems throughout.
300 St. Charles Avenue
Team: Welty Architecture, Ryan Gootee General Contractors, Roth Law Firm
Completed in 1855, the historic Bank of Louisiana building is a four-story masonry landmark designed by Gallier, Turpin Co. in the Italian Renaissance style. The recent restoration focused on preserving the building’s deteriorated exterior and selectively rehabilitating the previously vacant fourth floor. Extensive stucco repairs, conservation of cast-iron architectural details, and careful stabilization of the façade addressed conditions more severe than initially anticipated. Inside, original wood flooring was retained, intrusive drop ceilings were removed, and new systems were integrated for commercial use.
6823 St. Charles Avenue – Richardson Memorial Hall, Tulane University
Team: Trapolin Peer Architects, Broadmoor, LLC, Morphy Makofsky, Inc., TLC Engineering Solutions Inc., SLR Consulting, SpecGuy, Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc., Studio West
Originally constructed in 1907 for Tulane Medical College, Richardson Memorial Hall is a prominent Richardsonian Romanesque building that has housed the Tulane School of Architecture since 1968. Decades of incremental alterations left the building fragmented and unable to meet contemporary academic and accessibility needs. The project combined a comprehensive rehabilitation of the 45,000-square-foot historic structure with a 15,000-square-foot rear addition.
1100 Ursuline Street
Team: Cicada Architects, Ferrand Design, JLV Construction, EHC Engineering, Revolution Engineering
The rehabilitation of 1100 Ursuline Street restored a highly altered nineteenth-century building at the edge of Tremé, across from the Vieux Carré. Through careful investigation and coordination with the HDLC, the project uncovered substantial surviving material, including full-height windows, pediments, attic vents, and fragments of the original turned columns. The project transforms the property into a single residence while reestablishing an important façade along a major historic corridor.
...read more
read less