State dismisses DUI charge against Rep. Enrique Sanchez
Apr 01, 2025
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — State prosecutors have dismissed a misdemeanor criminal charge of driving under the influence against state Rep. Enrique Sanchez, court records show.
The dismissal of the charge was first reported by The Boston Globe.
The dismissal comes days after the lawmaker plea
ded guilty to a traffic violation related to the drunk-driving case at the Rhode Island Traffic Tribunal. Sanchez, 28, pleaded guilty to refusing a breathalyzer test on Friday in exchange for prosecutors dropping one count of failing to obey traffic control devices.
"As is common with first offense DUI cases, since the defendant admitted to the civil charge of refusing to submit to a chemical test at the Rhode Island Traffic Tribunal, the state dismissed the criminal charge," Timothy Rondeau, a spokesperson for R.I. Attorney General Peter Neronha's office, said in an email to Target 12.
The dismissal filed on Monday in Superior Court states that in addition to the plea in traffic court, the state was "unable to meet its burden at trial," citing "factual and legal issues."
The lawmaker's attorney, John Harwood, told Target 12: "He wanted to put it behind him, move forward, and focus on representing the people from his district to the best of his ability."
Sanchez did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment, but later addressed the dismissal in a post on social media.
"Thank you to my family, friends and all people of Rhode Island for your support. Never give up and keep going," Sanchez said.
The Providence Democrat was arrested last month and charged with driving under the influence of alcohol in Cranston.
The officer who made the arrest in February said Sanchez was disoriented and smelled of alcohol. Body-worn camera footage showed Sanchez initially denied he'd been drinking, but later admitting to having some alcohol after the officer told him he smelled like booze.
A few weeks after Sanchez's arrest, the case was transferred to Providence Superior Court, where he had been awaiting a formal arraignment. Sanchez was scheduled for a pre-trial conference hearing on Thursday, but that was cancelled in light of the latest developments.
On Friday, court records showed that Cranston Magistrate Mark Welch ordered Sanchez’s license suspended for 30 days, but it’s retroactive to his arrest date, meaning it was actually reinstated. He had held a conditional license since his initial hearing, which allowed him to drive to work and the State House.
Sanchez was also ordered to undergo alcohol treatment, perform 10 hours of community service, and keep an ignition interlock system for another six months pay more than $900 in court fees, according to court records.
Alexandra Leslie (aleslie@wpri.com) is a Target 12 investigative reporter covering Providence and more for 12 News. Connect with her on Twitter and on Facebook.
Download the WPRI 12 and Pinpoint Weather 12 apps to get breaking news and weather alerts.
Watch 12 News Now on WPRI.com or with the new 12+ smart TV app.
Follow us on social media:
Close
Thanks for signing up!
Watch for us in your inbox.
Subscribe Now
Daily Roundup
SIGN UP NOW
...read more read less