'They were aggressive': Wife details moments husband, stepsons were detained by ICE, RPD
Mar 31, 2025
ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WROC) — One week ago, several Rochester Police officers called to assist Homeland Security reportedly went too far when an RPD supervisor made an arrest. The Mayor and Chief of Police called them out for their actions and ordered more training.
Leaders, including Rochester Cit
y Councilmember Stanley Martin calling for the firing of the officers.
Local immigration incident draws fire from state, federal leaders
Those who attended a rally outside City Hall Monday wrapped their arms and support around Sarah Galvan, the wife of the individual detained last Monday, along with her two stepsons.
"They were aggressive. They were aggressive. And they're putting it like if they're just criminals, but they're hard-working roofers," Galvan said.
Galvan said she met her husband and stepsons at the scene on Whitney Place, where she said officers were demanding everyone to get out of their vehicles. Once they did, that's when they were taken into custody.
Mayor, RPD Chief: Officer broke policy during immigration response
"I'm crying, looking at my husband, telling them, 'Don't say nothing. Y'all have your rights. Don't say nothing. Just stay quiet. Y'all didn't do nothing. They didn't do nothing. I was telling them," Galvan said.
Galvan told News 8 she tried to standby her husband, but RPD and ICE officers got in the way.
"They pushed me because I wanted to stand by my husband to tell him, please calm down. And my stepson, that was in the front, was just shaking with like shaking his hand like that. I never see him so fear, with so much fear," Galvan said.
Rochester Police Chief David Smith sent a letter to officers last week discussing the challenges they frequently face in their roles, particularly when requested as backup during incidents like evictions, where their presence is crucial for ensuring everyone's safety.
Call for clarity: Legislators, union reps, respond follow sanctuary city policy discrepancy
The Chief also strongly criticized the actions and lack of transparency from Border Patrol and Homeland Security Investigations regarding the incident that occurred on Whitney Place.
Galvan shared a message to leave law abiding immigrants like her husband alone.
"They showed their license and everything his vehicles registered and everything's legal. It wasn't like it was illegal. He wasn't driving somebody else's name or using somebody else's permit or anything," Galvan said.
Monday, organizers of a rally outside City Hall said their message is for Rochester to protect its neighbors as a sanctuary city and fight for the immigrant community.
News 8 also heard from an immigration attorney about the overall spotlight on Rochester as a sanctuary city right now.
"Overall, I think what is going on is I think an agenda on a federal level. An agenda of setting fear in the immigrant community," Immigration Attorney Aomer Mohamed said.
Garvin said she has been able to communicate with her husband and stepsons and is hopeful for their release but worries about what could happen to other immigrants in the area.
"I help him so he can call me, of course, because he's in there, but he's stressed out. He wants to work. He wants to get out and work. That's all he thinks about," Galvan said.
Galvan said her husband and stepsons are being held in Batavia. The Locust Club said the officers were simply doing their job and left the logistics up to the Border Patrol agents.
Vice President Paul Dondorfer spoke with News 8 after meeting one-on-one with Border Czar Tom Homan at a major cities conference in Nashville.
"At no point have we nor will we take any action in regard to any illegal immigration," Dondorfer said. "That's not our job. We don't do it. The Rochester Police Department didn't do it last Monday. They called for backup, and we came, and we helped them in their emergency situation at that point. We didn't initiate the traffic stop. We didn't inquire on their immigration status. We didn't even inquire what their names were. We helped them out, we got them out of the car, we put them into custody, we patted them down and we handed them over to the federal agents, so the Rochester Police Department really doesn't have anything to do with whatever federal immigration enforcement is occurring in our community."
Chief Smith ordered additional training for the officers involved. The City of Rochester has not offered a comment since its news conference last week.
Border Czar Tom Homan has announced he will be coming to Rochester but no date as to when has been announced.
FULL LETTER FROM CHIEF DAVID SMITH TO ROCHESTER POLICE OFFICERS:
...read more read less