Man who held Lafayette family hostage faces life in prison
Mar 31, 2025
(KRON) -- A Lafayette man was convicted by a jury last week after he followed children home from a pool, tied them up with duct tape, held the entire family captive, and threatened to kill the parents in front of their children, according to prosecutors.
Kenneth David McIsaac, 34, was convicted by
a Contra Costa County jury Thursday on multiple felony charges related to the 2022 Lafayette home invasion, prosecutors said. He is now facing a potential life prison sentence.
The incident happened on September 24, 2022 in an apartment complex where McIsaac and the victims lived in different apartment units. The children had been playing in the complex's community pool with their mother. When the mother and children returned to their apartment unit, McIsaac followed them inside and shut the door. The children's father was home in the living room at the time.
"(McIsaac) lifted his shirt to reveal what appeared to be a firearm. McIsaac forced the family to sit on the floor, retrieved kitchen knives, and handed the mother duct tape to bind her husband and children before binding her himself," the Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office wrote.
For more than five hours, McIsaac held the family captive and threatened to kill the parents in front of their children, the DA's office wrote.
"Through will and determination, the husband was able to free himself from his bindings. When McIsaac returned to the living room, the husband fought back, ultimately subduing the intruder long enough for the rest of the family to escape and seek help," the DA's office wrote.
Over objections from prosecutors, in August of 2023, McIsaac's case was diverted by a Mental Health Court judge and the criminal case was suspended. In September of 2023, he was sent to a mental health treatment facility, where he was ordered to complete a 13-month-long program. Just one month later, he fled from the unsecured facility, prosecutors said.
McIsaac remained at-large for weeks. On November 14, 2023, police tracked him down in Oakland’s Montclair neighborhood and a K-9 unit arrested the escapee.
McIsaac's case was re-diverted back into the criminal court system, leading to a jury trial last week. Jurors found the home invader guilty of: kidnapping for ransom, felony child abuse, false imprisonment, and first-degree residential robbery.
Protesters march demanding justice for SF drag performer Heklina
District Attorney Diana Becton said, "This verdict holds Kenneth McIsaac accountable for the harm he caused this family. His conviction sends a strong message that violent crimes of this nature will not be tolerated in Contra Costa County."
Judge Mary Ann O’Malley will sentence McIsaac on June 6. ...read more read less